Samson Intros Portable Digital Audio RecorderOct 3rd, 2006 | By James Lewin | Category: Audio Podcasting, Computer Hardware, Mobile Podcasting, Podcasting Hardware
At the Podcast and Portable Media Expo, Samson was showing off its H4 Handy Digital Recorder.
The device fits in your palm and is designed to record live musical performances, interviews, podcasts, meetings, classes and seminars. The H4 can record 24-bit/96 kHz digital audio as well as in MP3 format with bitrates up to 320kbps.
The H4 has two built-in “studio-quality” electret condenser microphones configured in an X/Y pattern for true stereo recording. It also includes 2 combination XLR-1/4-inch input jacks with phantom power for use with any external microphones of your choice. The H4 also includes onboard studio effects such as compression, limiting and mic modeling. An 1/8-inch headphone jack is also provided for monitoring.
The H4 records on to Secure Digital (SD) media. A smallish 128MB SD card is included with the unit.
With a 2GB SD memory card, the H4 provides up to 380 minutes of recording in 16-bit mode (CD Quality), and 34 hours in MP3 stereo mode. And to move your recordings to a PC or Mac, the H4 includes a USB mass-storage interface.
The H4 provides four hours of continuous recording operation from 2 AA batteries. A back-lit, 128√ó64 pixel LCD provides the visual interface. An AC adapter, USB cable, windshield cover and tripod adapter are also included.
The H4 ups the ante in the area of portable media recorders, offering a broad range of features for about $300.
Unlike other field recorders, the H4 also has a 4-track recording mode. The H4 will also render 4-track audio with CD quality, 16-bit/44.1 kHz resolution.
Songwriters and musicians can use the combination XLR-1/4-inch high-impedance phone inputs for vocals, guitars, bass or keyboards. Also onboard are Zoom‚Äôs guitar and bass amplifier modeling effects.
To make the device even more flexible, it can be used as an computer audio interface.
The H4 is the only portable digital recorder that also serves as a USB audio interface, allowing direct recording of instruments and vocals to your computer.
- Fits in the palm of your hand
- Ideal for infinite variety of mobile recording applications
- Records 24-bit/96 kHz digital audio as well as MP3 format with bitrates up to 320kbps
- Two studio quality X/Y pattern condenser microphones for true stereo recording
- Two combination XLR-1/4-inch input jacks with phantom power
- Onboard studio effects compression, limiting and mic modeling
- 1/8-inch headphone jack provided for monitoring
- 128MB Secure Digital (SD) card included.
- Using a 2GB SD memory card provides 380 minutes of recording with CD Quality sound
- Up to 34 hours recording in MP3 stereo mode
- USB mass-storage interface
- Four hours of continuous recording operation from 2 AA batteries
- Back-lit, 128√ó64 pixel LCD provides the visual interface
- AC adapter, windshield cover, USB Cable and tripod adapter included
- 4-track audio in CD quality 16-bit PCM, 44.1 kHz sampling
- Combination high-impedance phone inputs for vocals, guitars, bass or keyboards.
- Built in guitar amp modeling equivalent to the Zoom G2
- Records directly to your computer as a USB audio interface
- Bundled with Cubase LE, 48-Track Digital Audio Workstation software