YouTube Looking For The Next Internet News StarsJun 6th, 2008 | By James Lewin | Category: Citizen Media, General, Internet TV, News Podcasts, Streaming Video, Video
YouTube is looking for citizen journalists.
“People around the world have been using YouTube to report on the events and issues affecting their lives, shedding light on stories that might otherwise not be told and offering new perspectives on events covered by the traditional media,” notes YouTube’s Olivia M. “To highlight these journalists on YouTube, we’re announcing the launch of the Reporter channel type.”
Reporter channels are like other YouTube channel types –- such as Comedian, Guru and Musician — but are specifically intended for citizens and professionals dedicated to informing others about the news and events in their local communities and around the world.
If this applies to you, you can go to the Channel Info page within My Account, click “Change channel type” and select “Reporter” from the pull-down menu.
YouTube plans to create a special browse page to highlight “Reporter” channel content.
YouTube offers several examples of the type of content they are looking for:
- People who tote around their cameras offering “on-the-scene” coverage of local news and events
- Students producing their own weekly newscasts
- Active community members who conduct interviews with local leaders
- Engaged citizens who love providing commentary and analysis on important issues affecting the world at large
- Professional journalists using YouTube as an additional outlet for their work