Podcasting Gear Update: The Tascam DP-004 Digital PocketstudioJan 30th, 2009 | By James Lewin | Category: Podcasting Hardware
Podcasting gear update:
TASCAM’s DP-004 Digital Pocketstudio is a portable digital audio recorder that can record two sources at once to the included 1GB SD Card. It retails for about $200.
A built-in stereo condenser microphone makes it simple to record audio anywhere. The Pocketstudio also has a pair of 1/4″ jacks on the rear panel allow for connecting your own microphones or sources. Inputs can be switched to “guitar level” for recording instruments.
The DP-004 accommodates adding to your recording arrangement until you’ve filled up all four tracks. The Bounce feature allows the user to consolidate tracks and make room for more overdub layers. Also available is an Autopunch feature for fixing problems, track editing and an undo function.
Mixing is also built into the Digital Pocketstudio. Once you set levels and pan, the user can record the mix onto a dedicated stereo master track. The Pocketstudio transfers tracks and mixes to the user’s computer over USB 2.
- Two 1/4″ unbalanced mic/line inputs
- Switchable guitar input
- Headphone/Line output
- USB 2.0 connector
- Four-track digital multitrack recording
- CD-quality 44.1kHz/16-bit WAV recording
- Records to SD Card media (1GB card included)
- Autopunch, repeat and record undo
- Dedicated stereo mixdown track
- Powered through AA Batteries or optional PS-P520 power adapter
- Battery life: About 8 hours recording, about 8.5 hours playback (alkaline batteries)
- Dimensions: 6.1″ W x 1.3″ H x 4.2″ D (155mm W x 33.5mm H x 107mm D)
- Weight: 2.8 oz (360 g, w/o batteries)