Is It Time For WordPress Podcasters To Dump PodPress?Oct 13th, 2009 | By James Lewin | Category: Audio Podcasting, Featured Story, Podcasting Software
Is time for WordPress-based podcasters to dump the once-pioneering podcasting plugin PodPress?
It could be.
blubrry has announced that PowerPress 1.0 is now available, and it supports all the key PodPress features:
Version 1.0 of Blubrry PowerPress Podcasting plugin for WordPress is now available. The latest version includes a number of new features/options as well as a settings pages redesign based on user feedback. With this update, PowerPress now includes all of the key features found in PodPress.
Have you replaced PodPress with PowerPress? Let me know what your thoughts are on the switch!
New Features and Options
- Added 4 new MP3 flash players: 1 Pixel Out Audio Player, MP3 Player Maxi, Simple Flash MP3 Player and AudioPlay player
- Added â€œVerifyâ€ media option next to Media URL box to check entered URL and detect file size/duration information
- Added PodPress Stats Archive view
- Added Password Protect option for Custom Podcast Channels, which allows for Premium Content
- Relabeled â€œCustom Podcast Feedsâ€ to â€œCustom Podcast Channelsâ€ toÂ avoid confusion
- Reorganized settings pages into tabbed sections
- Added new â€œVideo Scaleâ€ setting â€” users can choose between â€œscale,â€ â€œtofit,â€ or enter a custom scale value such as 1.5
- Added new â€œE-Book PDFâ€ label for download links of PDF files
All of the key features in PodPress included in PowerPress
The new Password Protection for the Custom Podcast Channels feature is a replacement for the PodPress Premium Content feature.Â Unlike PodPressâ€™ Premium Content feature, Blubrry PowerPress Password Protection for Custom Podcast Channels has no limit. You can create as many custom podcast channels with password protection as you want (each with its own RSS feed).
The new â€œVerifyâ€ button is an enhanced replacement of the â€œDetectâ€ buttons found in PodPress. The Verify button goes beyond detecting only the file size and duration, it also confirms that the Media URL entered is formatted correctly and is valid. The new Verify button does all this with only one click.
PowerPress now includes the highly requested 1 Pixel Out Audio Player used by PodPress. PowerPress includes the latest version, which features volume control.