Here are some record labels and sites that feature podcast-legal music :
- AudioFeeds.org - focuses on "Music-Only" feeds created by by independent musicians and labels. All music is 100% podsafe, legal and free.
- Electromancer - features all types of electronic music.
- Kahvi Collective
- Magnatune - see our interview with founder John Buckman
- PodSafe Audio - calls itself "music for the revolution"
- Uhort.no - Norwegian site that features podcast-safe music
- PromoNet - offers podcasters pre-cleared tracks, in exchange for promo links.
If you want to get your label or site listed here, here are our requirements:
- Your site should clearly indicate how items are licensed.
- State on your site that the music is podcast-legal.
- State what your attribution recommendations or requirements are. Here's an example:
The Attribution-NoDerivs 2.0 license requires that you provide an attribution for the artist. Here is what we recommend:
Within the podcast itself: "Songname" by "Artistname"
Within the show notes or site: "Songname" by "Artistname", http://www.the-artist-or-label-site-name.com/
Also, you may want to make clear that you do not consider podcasts or Internet radio to be a derivative work. Here's an example:
The Attribution-NoDerivs 2.0 license lets you copy, distribute, display, and perform the work, as long as you provide an attribution and do not alter, transform, or build upon this work. Using standard DJ intros, outros and mixing within a podcast or other Internet broadcast does not constitute creating a derivative work.
If you have questions about licensing music or using music within a podcast, consult a knowledgeable lawyer.